Wednesday, November 28

Turkey & Cheese Enchiladas



My recipe for chicken enchiladas is a real favorite among my family and friends, and I've been making it the same way since college. I finally got the courage to change it up with an even quicker and easier version utilizing the last of my Thanksgiving turkey leftovers. I usually prefer using a green sauce in my enchiladas, but I tried Trader Joe's red enchilada sauce this time and it had a great, restaurant-quality taste. It completely transformed my leftovers and took just a few minutes to put together. Make a big batch and reheat leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.


Turkey & Cheese Enchiladas:
  • Combine 2 c. cooked, shredded turkey* with 1 tbsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, and salt.**
  • Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce*** into the bottom of a large shallow baking dish.
  • Pour more sauce into a large shallow bowl and dip a flour tortilla in the sauce to coat both sides.
  • Add in 1/6 of the chicken and a small handful of a grated Mexican cheese blend and tightly roll up the tortilla.
  • Place the enchilada, seam side down, into the baking dish and repeat five more times.
  • Pour the remaining sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.****
  • Bake enchiladas in a 375F oven for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
  • Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and let cool for a few minutes before serving.

Serves four
*I used both white and dark meat. Can substitute for chicken.
**You may not need to salt depending on how salty your leftover turkey is.
***From a 12-14 oz. bottle.
****You should use about 1 1/2 c. of cheese total.

No comments:

Post a Comment