A meaty Italian spin on traditional queso cheese dip
Being a football fan for an out of state team is tough and usually requires a trip to a sports bar in order to watch them play because local cable won't show the games on television. This past Thursday, however, the Vikings played the only NFL game of the night and we were finally able to watch them from the comfort of our living room. We had some friends over, so I set out some store-bought snacks and whipped up this mozzarella and Italian sausage queso dip. Unlike the standard Velveeta queso, this version is made up entirely of melted mozzarella and studded with caramelized onions and crispy Italian sausage. It's denser and chewier than the liquid orange dip you might be used to, but it packs a lot more flavor and texture. It's sure to be a hit at your next football party or tailgate.
- Queso Fundido Dip
- Baked Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Sauce
- Baked Potato Bites
Mozzarella & Italian Sausage Queso:
- Heat 1 tsp. canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Crumble in two large spicy Italian sausages, casings removed, and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until browned and just cooked through.
- Transfer sausage to a plate with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the pan.*
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add in 1/2 diced onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Cook for 7 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden, then turn off the heat and stir in the cooked sausage.
- Add 1 c. grated mozzarella cheese in the bottom of a small baking dish or oven-proof skillet.
- Top cheese with half the sausage mixture, then cover with 1 more c. of cheese and the rest of the sausage.**
- Bake in a 375F oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling.
- Serve immediately with chips.
*If sausage pieces are a little on the large size, you can dice them more finely.
**Can be assembled and left at room temperature a few hours before baking.