Mediterranean grilled chicken with a creamy and crunchy cucumber relish
I'm a sucker for anything with tzatziki, a Greek yogurt sauce, and have featured many recipes for it on this blog. So it should come as no surprise that I have been anxiously waiting to make this recipe (which I've actually adapted quite a bit) for grilled chicken with tzatziki from the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook for several months. This version of tzatziki is actually more of a salad than a sauce and features lots of diced cucumbers, red onion, and herbs with just a little bit of yogurt and lemon to bind it. I also added some chunks of feta, mainly because I'm obsessed with the good sheep's milk feta that's packed in water from Whole Foods (first mentioned here) and have been coming up with excuses to buy it as much as possible. The chicken is marinated in many of the same ingredients that are in the tzatziki, plus some additional herbs and spices, and gets nice and charred on the hot grill. Pounding out the breasts allows the meat to cook evenly and provides extra surface area to spoon the salad on top of. This makes a healthy but filling meal, especially paired with some couscous or warm rice.
Note: This recipe is pretty forgiving about being prepared in advance or reheated. The only thing you should not do is add salt to the tzatziki salad until just before eating. The salt will draw water out of the cucumbers and make the mixture watery if it sits for a long period of time.
- Salmon with Radish Raita Sauce
- Grilled Lamb Burgers with Feta, Tzatziki, & Arugula
- Beef & Lamb Kofta with Yogurt Sauce
Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken with Tzatziki Salad:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/4" thin
- 3 Persian or hothouse cucumbers, diced small (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 red onion, diced small
- 3-4 oz. feta cheese, preferably sheep's milk, diced small
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced + 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/3 c. whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red chile flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Whisk together 1 c. yogurt, lemon zest, juice of 1 lemon, 2 tbsp. parsley, 2 tbsp. dill, cumin, red chile flakes, oregano, and 1 tsp. each of salt and pepper.
- Place in a resealable bag with the chicken and marinate for 30 mins at room temperature or up to to several hours in the fridge.
- Preheat a grill to high and remove the chicken from the fridge if it was marinating in there.
- Grill the chicken for 4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cucumbers, onion, garlic, and remaining dill and parsley in a bowl.
- Stir in 1/3 c. yogurt and 3 tbsp. lemon juice and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and taste for seasoning. Gently stir in the feta, trying not to break it up.
- Divide the chicken onto plates and top each with a generous amount of tzatziki salad.