Monday, May 6

Fettuccine with Peas & Garlic Alfredo Sauce



Since I had so much success with these black beans, I decided that I’d try conquering another food I’ve historically disliked: peas. To be fair, I first reintroduced myself to them with a delicious fresh pea agnolotti from Spago a couple weeks ago and was determined to make something I’d like with them at home. Spring is the ideal time to get reacquainted with this veggie, since the farmers market is filled with fresh English peas (I can buy them already shucked from their pod at my local market, which is a huge convenience). Determined to keep them from turning mushy and wrinkly (which is how my distaste for them must have started), I ended up actually under-cooking them quite a bit and have adjusted the recipe so that the same thing won’t happen to you. The alfredo sauce makes up for everything though, as it coats the noodles and peas with a delicious silky garlicky cream sauce that’s reminiscent of your favorite Italian restaurant.



Fettuccine with Peas & Garlic Alfredo Sauce:
  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil, season with salt, and cook 1/2 lb. fettuccine pasta until al dente.
  • In the last 5-6 minutes of cooking, add 2 c. shelled English peas to same boiling pot of water that the pasta is in.*
  • Meanwhile, melt 3 tbsp. butter in a skillet over medium heat.
  • Add in 2 heads of minced spring garlic** and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant but not brown.
  • Stir in 1 c. heavy cream, a large pinch of salt and pepper, and reduce the heat to low.
  • Drain the pasta and peas and add to the alfredo sauce.***
  • Toss the pasta with the sauce and stir in 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp. minced chives, and 1 tbsp. minced parsley.
  • Continue to toss for 1-2 minutes, or until most of the sauce is absorbed and thickened.
  • Divide onto plates and serve.

Serves two-four
*You can also add in 2 c. of defrosted frozen peas, but just toss them in with the sauce and pasta at the end, do not add to boiling water.
**Or 3-4 cloves of regular garlic.
***It's ok if a little pasta water clings to the sauce, it helps the pasta thicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment