My husband and I are usually pretty lazy on the weekends and end up going out for breakfast most of the time. I generally opt for some sort of breakfast sandwich, but there's really no need to go out when they're so easy to make at home. Lately I've been perfecting this recipe and have settled on my ultimate sandwich: sourdough roll, melty cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, slightly runny egg, and peppery arugula. We ate these on both Saturday and Sunday and can't wait to make them again this weekend. And if we're really having a craving, there's no reason that this can't make a quick weeknight dinner.
Bacon, Egg & Cheddar Sandwiches:
- Place a baking rack over a sheet pan and lay 4 slices of bacon on the rack in an even layer.
- Cook bacon in a 400F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy.
- Split 2 sandwich rolls* in half and toast until golden brown.
- Top each side of the rolls with a slice of cheddar cheese and divide the bacon onto the bottom half of each roll.
- Place rolls back in the oven to let the cheese melt while you fry the eggs.
- Melt a little butter in a skillet and fry 4 eggs until your desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place two eggs on top of each half with the bacon, then top the eggs with a dash of hot sauce a handful of arugula.
- Place the top half of the roll on each sandwich and enjoy.