Wednesday, September 9

Eating for Two

A food diary of my first trimester




The last time I took a long break from this blog was over two years ago. I got married, went on the most amazing long honeymoon in Europe, and started a new job. This time, I've been absent due to another major life event - I'm pregnant! We are expecting a baby girl due mid-February. I've wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember and my husband and I are thrilled about the news, but it doesn't mean that pregnancy has been easy. Cooking and eating are a daily struggle from a lack of appetite, dietary restrictions, and barely having the energy to cook a quick meal. Here's a look at what I have and haven't been eating the past three and a half months:



HAVE BEEN:


HAVEN'T BEEN:
  • Alcohol - This goes without saying, and to be honest, I haven't been feeling well enough to miss it. The hardest thing about being pregnant and not drinking was how suspicious it was to our friends and family. I spent many nights fake sipping cocktails, which my husband would chug as soon as no one else was looking.
  • Raw Stuff - Sushi was the last meal I ate before I found out that I was pregnant. But it's not just the obvious raw stuff that I have to avoid. The biggest let down has been avoiding soft eggs, which I love.
  • All The Good Dairy - Non-pasteurized dairy and juices are the most difficult foods to avoid. Pretty much all of my favorites cheeses (brie, goat, queso fresco) are off-limits until after giving birth.
  • Cured Meats - Considering my ideal meal is a cheese and charcuterie plate with a fresh baguette, this is another disappointment. Anything with nitrates (most bacon, sausage, salami, etc.) need to be avoided, although I have had luck finding nitrate-free bacon at Whole Foods.
  • Chicken - I developed a strong distaste for chicken shortly after I found out that I was pregnant. We joke that it's definitely my husband's child in me because he likes to talk smack on all my chicken recipes in favor of red meat and now I do the same. I haven't eaten a chicken breast since I got pregnant and at this rate it doesn't seem like I ever will again.


No comments:

Post a Comment