Wednesday, October 28

Kale & Date Salad

A fall salad with raw kale, sweet dates, and salty parmesan cheese


Kale, Date, and Parmesan Salad


Weirdly enough, some of the foods I've been drawn to most often during my pregnancy are leafy greens. There's definitely still a lot of carbs and ice cream going on in my diet, but my body has been craving vegetables and hearty greens like kale are at the top of my favorites list. This is certainly not the first kale salad I've featured on this site but it's special enough to be added into the rotation. We get catered lunch from Lemonade at one of my company's offices, and this is my version of one of the salads they provided. The combination of sweet, caramel-y dates with the salty cheese and crispy capers add lots of flavor to the raw kale. I pair it with a pretty acidic dressing to counterbalance the sweetness, which also makes this a good salad to pair with a rich main course. This would be delicious alongside braised meat or a fall stew but is hearty enough to have for a light lunch with some good bread.

Note: I am lucky enough to buy dates from a vendor at my local farmers market. If you can do the same or buy them from a specialty store, it's worth seeking out really good ones. If not, medjool dates from the grocery store will work fine - just make sure they aren't too soft since you need to slice them and mix them in the salad.


More Kale Salads:
- Kale, Brussels Sprouts, & Hazelnut Salad
- Kale Ribbon Salad with Parmesan & Garlic Vinaigrette
- Delicata Squash, Pepita, & Baby Kale Salad


Kale, Date, & Parmesan Salad:
Ingredients
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, washed, dried, stems removed and thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1/3 lb. dates, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, shaved into pieces with a vegetable peeler
- 1/4 c. olive oil + a little more
- 3 tbsp. capers, drained and patted dry
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- kosher salt
- black pepper

Recipe
  • Heat a small pan over high heat. Add in a glug of olive oil and add in the capers.
  • Cook the capers, shaking the pan often, for 2 minutes, or until crispy. Set aside.
  • In a large salad bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until combined.
  • Add in the kale and mix very well with the dressing, working it through the leaves with your hands to massage and tenderize the kale.
  • Add in the dates, parmesan, and capers and mix again. Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
  • Serve and enjoy. This salad can sit in the fridge or at room temp for several hours.

Serves four - six (side dish)



5 comments:

  1. I am Alecia Maldonado used every single spell worker on the internet, spent untold amounts of money and discovered they are all fakes...i was the fool though; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In the end, I decided that I wanted a tarot reading to know what my future held for me; I contacted a woman who lives locally to me and she told me about a man named (Dr Mandaker); he just got he just got his website (holyaraminta.com), has another job for income, has no set prices, makes no false promises and refuses to help anyone that cannot be helped and even helps
    for free sometimes, he will give you proof before taking money. He is a wonderful man and he was the only person who actually gave me real results. I really hope he doesn't mind me advertising his contact on the internet but I'm sure any help/ extra work will benefit him.contact him as witchhealing@outlook.com He travel sometimes.i cant give out his number cos he told me he don’t want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay and he’ will replied to any emails asap,love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,any sicknesses voodoo,Trouble in marriage,HIV AIDS,Barrenness(need a child),goodLuck voodoo,it's all he does Hope this helps everyone that is in a desperate situation as I once was; I know how it feels to hold onto something and never have a chance to move on because of the false promises and then to feel trapped in wanting something
    more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruhe is the best website where anyone can easily find the top products of kitchen and bathroom fittings in India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this blog. Pearl Sinks is the Kitchen Sink Manufacturers in India from Delhi, India.
    #KitchenSinkManufacturers #topkitchensinks #pearlsinks

    ReplyDelete