Thursday, September 13

Pesto & Sundried Tomato Pasta




Pasta is such a good canvas for showcasing other ingredients and one of my favorite quick meal standbys. I always keep some homemade pesto in the freezer so that I can slap it on some noodles for a nearly instant dinner, or add in some other ingredients for something a little more exciting (seen here and here). This recipe takes advantage of the oven-roasted tomatoes I featured earlier this week, which add a nice texture and sweetness to the dish. Since I love crunch I also added in some walnuts I had lying around, but you could really incorporate any leftovers and it would be great. A little Parmesan cheese never hurts, too.


Pesto Spaghetti with Sundried Tomatoes and Walnuts:
  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil, season with salt, and cook 1/2 lb. whole-wheat spaghetti* until al dente.
  • Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 c. pasta cooking liquid, and return to the pot with the heat turned off.
  • Add in 1/2 c. fresh pesto, some of the cooking liquid, 8-10 sliced sundried tomatoes, and 1/4 c. toasted walnuts.**
  • Toss for a minute or until the pasta gets coated with the sauce, then check for seasoning.
  • Divide onto plates and serve.

Serves two
*Or any type and shape of pasta you want.
**To toast nuts, add to a dry hot skillet and cook for 5 minutes, or until lightly golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment