Friday, February 14

Revisited Recipe: Roasted Carrot Soup

I have over 600 recipes (and growing) in the Kitchen Sink Diaries archive. Some of them have been tweaked and improved since their original post or were just really special to begin with. These revisited recipes are some of my all-time favorites that deserve a second look.

Roasted Carrot Soup


I have a lot of soup recipes on KSD, but this simple carrot soup is one of my favorites. It's become a go-to for weekday menu planning, and I just prepared another batch of it on Sunday that lasted me four lunches this past week (supplemented by a big piece of this homemade bread, for dipping). I've even served it as a starting course for Christmas dinner. The recipe is so easy that it might not seem like anything special to those that come across it, but it is. Roasting the carrots first turns them from regular carrots to flavor-packed, sweet, caramelized, super carrots. They simmer with a stock that's been quickly infused with ginger and herbs and then finished with a squeeze of lemon and a splash of cream. The lemon adds a nice edge to the soup and is my favorite part about this dish. This carrot soup will surprise you, and I guarantee it will become a beloved lifelong recipe.


Roasted Carrot Soup:
Serves six (first course)
Serves two-three (main course)

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 bunches of carrots, green tops removed
  • 7 c. low-sodium stock (chicken or vegetable)
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 knob of fresh ginger, peeled
  • 1 sprig of fresh thyme
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Splash of heavy cream (optional)

See the entire original recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment