Friday, March 2

Tangelo-Orange Sorbet


The citrus at our farmer’s market has been outstanding lately, and I can’t help myself from buying at least a few pounds of clementines, blood oranges, or grapefruits every week. Lately, my real favorites are the tangelos, which have the perfect balance of sweetness and slight tartness and are bursting with juice (I’ve been caught eating them at my desk a few times and have to go wash my hands before I can touch my keyboard again). They’re so perfect that I turned some into a sorbet in hopes that I’d be able to preserve them a little longer, but after just one bite I realized that it’s even better than the actual fruit. The nice thing is that it's healthy and fat free, making it the perfect snack or guilt-free dessert.


Tangelo & Cara Cara Orange Sorbet:
  • Combine 1/2 c. sugar and 1 c. water in a small saucepan and cook until sugar is dissolved, about 4-5 minutes. Let cool.
  • Juice 3 lbs. of tangelos and 2 lbs. of cara cara oranges.*
  • Combine simple syrup with tangelo juice and refrigerate for an hour, or until very cold.
  • Pour juice mixture into the frozen** bowl part of an ice cream maker and turn the machine on.
  • Let the ice cream maker run for 20 minutes, or until the sorbet has frozen into a semi-hard state.***
  • Transfer sorbet to a freezer-proof container and place in the freezer for at least an hour.
  • Scoop into bowls and serve.

Serves six - eight
*This will yield 5-6 c. of juice. Feel free to use whatever combination of citrus you like.
**Bowl should be frozen overnight to ensure that the sorbet will harden.
***Sorbet will never completely freeze in the machine. Do not overchurn or the texture won't be smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment