Thursday, March 1

Mixed Green Salad with Squash & Prosciutto



A few weeks ago, I spent the day cooking with some of my co-workers to create a delicious four-course meal for ourselves. We made my recipes for duck with cherry-port sauce and duck hash, and my co-worker (who hosted the event in his large, well-stocked kitchen – I’m a little jealous) made chocolate mousse and an amazing roasted squash salad. This recipe is my attempt at recreating his dish and uses some of my all-time favorite ingredients (squash, prosciutto, goat cheese) in a new and fun way. My favorite part is the dressing, which has a really pungent taste but works perfectly against the rich and buttery cheese and meat. I had a large portion for dinner one night, but this would certainly be an elegant starter for a more formal affair.

Mixed Green Salad with Squash & Prosciutto:
For Dressing
  • Combine 2 finely minced garlic cloves, 1 finely minced shallot, 1 tbsp. mustard, and 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar in a small bowl.
  • Slowly whisk in 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
For Salad
  • Slice 1 delicata* squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Then slice each half into thin half moon shapes.
  • Toss squash with 1 tbsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper and place in a 400°F oven.
  • Roast squash for 20 minutes, or until soft. Remove and let cool slightly.
  • Meanwhile, toss 4 c. mixed greens** with the dressing and divide onto plates.
  • Top each plate with a handful of roasted pepitas,*** 2-3 pieces of finely sliced prosciutto, and a small handful of crumbled goat cheese.
  • Place roasted squash on top and each plate and serve.

Serves two (main course)
Serves four - six (starter)
*Can substitute for acorn or butternut.
**I used a blend I got at my farmer's market that contained lettuces, edible flowers, and herbs.
***Shelled pumpkin seeds. Available in the nut and seed aisle of most grocery stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment