Wednesday, July 25

How To: Steam A Lobster



Even though I have a ton of pride for the west coast (best coast), every summer I dream about spending time in New England. Most of this fantasy comes from that knowledge that lobsters are dirt cheap in certain areas, and I love the idea of spontaneously pulling up to a road side stand, buying a few, and cooking them for dinner. Luckily my favorite local seafood store gets tons of live lobsters shipped to them so I can still live out a portion of this dream at home. We cooked some this past weekend in my favorite simple preparation: steamed, cracked, and served with a lot of melted butter.


Steamed Lobster:
To Cook
  • Bring 1" of water to a rapid boil in a large pot, add in 2 live lobsters,* and cover with a lid.
  • Cook for 15 minutes, or until the lobsters turn bright red.
  • Remove from the pot and let cool slightly.
To Crack
  • Pull the tails off, crack the shell, and pull out the meat in one large chunk. Slice.
  • Pull the legs off and use a rolling pin to roll the meat up and out of the shell.
  • Pull the claws off, remove the meat from the knuckles, then crack the claw shell and pull out the claw meat in one piece.**
  • Serve with melted butter and lemon wedges.

Serves two - four
*About 1 1/2 lbs. each.
**I saved the shells and bodies to make a lobster stock with.

No comments:

Post a Comment