Friday, September 16

Pesto-Tomato Crostini


When I was vacationing in Minnesota this summer, my boyfriend's mom made a delicious dip of cream cheese, pesto, tomatoes, and pine nuts to serve with pita chips (see my recipe for homemade pita chips here). We devoured it, and I've been meaning to make my own version ever since. In this variation, I made crostini that would be a great appetizer or substitute for croutons in a salad. They are addicting, so make sure you make plenty!

Crostini with Pesto, Cream Cheese, and Tomato:
  • Slice 1/2 of a baguette into 1/4" thick slices and brush with olive oil. 
  • Place bread on a sheet pan and toast in a 400°F oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
  • Smear toasts with cream cheese (low-fat works great here) and top with basil pesto.*
  • Arrange halved cherry tomatoes on top, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts.**

Serves four - six 
*Try my recipe for homemade pesto here.
*To toast pine nuts, place in a dry pan and heat until fragrant and golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment