Wednesday, September 21

Spaghetti with Lamb Ragu



The leg of lamb I made this weekend is truly the gift that keeps on giving, and after a few days of leftovers (like these lamb tacos) we decided to invite our friends over for dinner to help us finish it off completely. I made a lamb ragu (inspired by the pork ragu I made this spring), and I was amazed by how much flavor I was able to get in the sauce after cooking it for less than an hour. When my guests came in the whole house smelled like I had been cooking all day, but I had really just kept the pan on a simmer while my boyfriend and I watched TV. It was an impressive meal made from leftovers and tasted even better after a few glasses of red wine.


Spaghetti with Lamb Ragu:
  • Heat 1 1/2 tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  • Add in 1 finely diced yellow onion and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
  • Add in 3 minced cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp. tomato paste, and 1 tbsp. fresh oregano leaves and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
  • Add in 1 1/2 lb. of cooked leg of lamb, shredded and chopped into bite-size pieces.*
  • Add in a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes** and season with salt and pepper.
  • Bring the sauce to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
  • Cook 1 lb. of spaghetti*** 1-2 minutes before al dente, then drain and reserve 1/2 c. pasta cooking water.
  • Add the pasta and some of the water to the pan with the sauce and toss for 1-2 minutes.
  • To serve, divide into bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese.

Serves six - eight
*Can be substituted for any cooked, shredded meat such as beef or pork.
**Preferably San Marzano. You can also buy whole canned tomatoes and crush them by hand.
***Can be substituted for any shape of pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment