Monday, November 28

Weekend Review: Virgin Gorda

Harissa Grilled Oysters and Pork Belly from The Sugar Mill
View of the Bay from our Villa

I just got back from a week-long vacation in paradise, also known as Little Dix Bay, Virgin Gorda, with my boyfriend and his family. It's a remote island in the Caribbean (we had to take two planes, a puddle jumper, and a boat to get there) and as a result, it's difficult to get a lot of fresh food delivered there regularly. I was warned that our meals might be hit or miss, but was pleasantly surprised by some of the delicious and inspiring dishes I had on our trip. I loved all of the region's fresh fish, which was the perfect thing to eat right on the beach on a warm night. I also got to enjoy some more innovative and modern cooking, like pork belly with harissa grilled oysters, that reminded me of the type of restaurants I love here in L.A. Now that I'm home, I can't wait to get back in the kitchen to try and recreate some of these meals,  although there's no way I can match the ambiance.



First Plate from the Pavilion's Thanksgiving Buffet - (clockwise) Shrimp Cocktail, Roasted Pumpkin Cous Cous, Asian Chicken Salad, Heirloom Tomato Caprese
Grilled Swordfish, Lentils, & Salsa Verde from The Sugar Mill
Roast Duck Breast, Potato Pancake, Champagne Cabbage, Orange Jus at The Sugar Mill
Sunset in Little Dix Bay
Made-to-Order Bananas Foster at the Pavilion's Thanksgiving Buffet
Lobster in a Coconut-Kaffir Lime Curry at Chez Bamboo
The Sugar Mill's Coffee Creme Brulee with Mocha Ice Cream

1 comment:

  1. As always, thanks for sharing. Yum to the millionth power. :)

    ReplyDelete