Friday, July 22

Rainbow Trout Almondine


My mom is a notoriously picky eater who doesn't like fish, but on several occasions she has encouraged me to make a dish from her childhood, sole almondine (fish with buttery sauteed almonds on top). I knew it would have to be delicious to pass her high standards, so I finally made my own version. I substituted the sole for rainbow trout, which cooks in just a few minutes and is the perfect vehicle to showcase the hot, buttery nuts. I also added some lemon to bring some more acid and a  flavorful zing to the dish.

Rainbow Trout Almondine:
  • Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a small pan until frothy.
  • Add 1/4 c. sliced, raw almonds and cook until brown.
  • Turn off the heat and add the juice of 1/2 a lemon.* Set aside.
  • Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
  • Season both sides of two 6 oz. rainbow trout fillets with salt and pepper.
  • Add fish to the skillet, skin side down, and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until crispy.**
  • Flip fish and cook for another 2 minutes.
  • Divide fish onto plates and top with almonds. Serve with lemon wedges.


Serves two
*Be careful adding the lemon, it will splatter.
**Make sure your pan is very hot in order to crisp the skin. 


No comments:

Post a Comment