Thursday, July 28

Lobster Risotto


Last week I received a well-deserved promotion at work, and I've been using it as an excuse to celebrate ever since. In addition to several kir royales and nicer-than-usual red wine, I wanted to create a special meal to honor the occasion. I decided to make lobster risotto, as I'd been having a craving for lobster for weeks and couldn't stop thinking about the vegetable risotto I made recently, either. I used the same shortcut I featured before, but substituted chicken stock for our local seafood market's amazing homemade fish stock. Then I topped the whole thing with sliced lobster tails and a drizzle of melted butter. It was divine!

Related Recipes:
- Mushroom & Pancetta Risotto
- Lobster Tails with Garlic Panko Crust
- "Baked" Saffron Risotto with Seared Scallops


Lobster Risotto:
  • In a heavy-lidded pot, combine 2 1/2 c. high-quality lobster stock* with 3/4 c. aborio rice.
  • Place the pot in a 350°F oven for 40 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, place 2 lobster tails (about 6 oz. each) in a pot of boiling water and cook for 6-8 minutes.**
  • Remove tails from the water and cool for 15 minutes. Then use a knife to split the shell in half and remove the meat.
  • Slice the meat into medallions and set aside.
  • Remove the rice from the oven and stir in 1/2 c. stock, 1/4 white wine, 2 tbsp. cold butter, salt, pepper, and a few drops of Sriracha hot sauce.***
  • Stir rice until thick and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
  • Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a small pan and place the lobster in it to gently reheat.
  • To serve, divide risotto onto plates, then top with lobster meat, drizzle with remaining melted butter, and top with a sprinkle of chives.


Serves two
*If no lobster stock is available, use seafood or shrimp stock.
**Lobster will be done when the shells turn bright red and the tails start to curl.
***Asian hot sauce. I add it for color and a slight heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment