Wednesday, October 5

Caramel Apple Bundt Cake


As I mentioned here, my girlfriend has been handing out all sorts of homemade treats from her apple tree and I had more applesauce than I knew what to do with. Luckily, I was browsing food52 and came across this recipe for applesauce cake with caramel icing. I’ve been making a lot of sweets lately (see here and here), but I couldn’t resist trying this out. The applesauce I used was pretty chunky and I love the texture it gives to the cake. Serve a slice with some ice cream for dessert or eat alongside your morning coffee for a sweet breakfast treat.

Caramel Apple Bundt Cake:
For Cake
  • In a large bowl, beat together 2 large eggs with 1 c. white sugar and ½ c. brown sugar until pale in color.
  • Add in 1 ½ c. unsweetened applesauce, 2/3 c. canola oil, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
  • Sift together 2 c. flour, 1 ½ tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. powdered ginger and ½ tsp. ground nutmeg and stir into the applesauce mixture until just combined.
  • Pour the batter into a large bundt pan that has been buttered and floured and place in a 350°F oven.
  • Cook for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean from the center of the cake.
  • Let the cake cool for a few minutes, then remove from the pan and let the cake cool completely.

For Glaze
  • Melt together ½ stick butter, ½ c. brown sugar, 1/3 c. heavy cream, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan.
  • Let the mixture boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and cool for a few minutes.
  • Slowly whisk in 3/4 c. powdered sugar, then immediately pour glaze over the cake.
  • Let the glaze harden completely, then cut and serve.

Serves eight

    No comments:

    Post a Comment