Thursday, October 20

Individual Pear Cobblers


Though I try to share most of my memorable dining experiences with my readers, sometimes I need to take a night off from blogging and simply enjoy the food and my boyfriend's company. So when we recently went on a romantic date to Michael's, I left my camera in my purse and savored each moment of our three-course meal without distraction. His food was excellent (as were the multiple wine pairings) and I fell in love with the pear cobbler and ginger ice cream I had for dessert. This is my own version (adapted from my recipe for peach and raspberry crumble) and I think it's just as good.

Individual Pear Cobblers:*
  • Cut 2-3 ripe pears** into uniform, bite-size pieces and toss with 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp. sugar,*** and 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon.
  • Spoon pears into the bottom of three or four 8-10 oz. ramekins, filling the cups up about half way.
  • Meanwhile, combine 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 stick cold butter cubes, 1 tbsp. slivered almonds, 1 tbsp. white sugar, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
  • Use your fingers to break up the butter into the flour mixture, until the crumble resembles coarse sand.
  • Divide the crumble on top of the ramekins, then place them on a cookie sheet.
  • Bake the cobblers in a 375°F oven for 25-30 minutes, or until topping is brown and fruit is bubbling.
  • Let cobblers cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Serves three-four
*If you don't have ramekins, you can assemble it in a large baking dish and increase the cook time by 10 - 20 minutes.
**Depending on size. Slightly under ripe pears are ok, as they will soften when baked. I used comice pears.
***You may want to add more or less, depending on how sweet the fruit is.

No comments:

Post a Comment