Tuesday, January 3

Chocolate Soufflés


Soufflés have been a long-time favorite dessert of mine, ever since I was introduced to them at my grandparent's country club as a child. Soon after I began making them with my mother for special occasions from a recipe out of the Joy of Cooking. My dad and brother are partial to Grand Marnier, but my favorite flavor will always be chocolate. My boyfriend had never had one before, so I decided to introduce him to them (using the same old recipe) on New Year's Eve. They were light as air but with a rich, dark chocolate punch, exactly as I remembered them.


Chocolate Soufflés:
  • Grease the inside of four 10 oz. ramekins with softened butter, then coat them with granulated sugar and tap out any excess.
  • Set ramekins on a baking tray and place in the fridge.
  • Melt 8 oz. chopped bittersweet* chocolate, 6 tbsp. butter, and 2 tbsp. rum** in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
  • Remove bowl from the heat once chocolate is just melted and let cool for 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, whip 6 room-temperature egg whites until they form soft peaks, slowly add in 1/2 c. sugar and continue beating until eggs are stiff and shiny.
  • One at a time, beat 6 room-temperature egg yolks into the chocolate mixture.
  • Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then very gently fold in the remaining 2/3 of the egg whites.***
  • Divide batter into ramekins and place in a 375°F oven.
  • Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until risen and just cooked through.
  • Serve immediately with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or both.

Serves four
*Or semi-sweet. Do not use fully sweetened chocolate.
**I used Meyer's dark rum. Can substitute for coffee or water.
***The key to soufflés is to incorporate as much air as possible into the batter. Only fold until just incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment