Monday, January 2

Broiled Oysters with Sriracha Butter



I ended 2011 with a some of my tried and true favorite things: lobster, champagne, and my adorable little family. It was a great send-off to a fabulous year and hopefully an entrance to an even greater one. In the spirit of new things, I tried my hand at doing something for the first time: shucking oysters (to be honest, my boyfriend did most of the work). He had just received a oyster knife and mitt for Christmas so we were excited to put them to use. We picked up a couple different varieties at our local fish market, which I quickly broiled on the half shell and served with Sriracha butter (see previous compound butters here and here). It took a couple tries to get the hang of shucking them, but now I can’t wait for the summer when we can sit on our back patio and eat them by the bucketful.


Broiled Oysters with Sriracha Butter:
  • Combine 2 tbsp. soft butter and 1-2 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce until well mixed. Place in the fridge for at least an hour, or until hardened.
  • Shuck a dozen oysters*, leaving oyster liquor and oyster on the half shell.
  • Place oysters on a baking sheet and broil on high for 3-4 minutes.
  • Remove and immediately add a piece of Sriracha butter on top of each oyster.
  • Transfer oysters to a plate and enjoy.

Serves two (appetizer)
*We used Kumamoto and Kusshi oysters.

No comments:

Post a Comment