A banana royale is basically a banana split with two scoops of ice cream instead of three. It sounds fancy and way less gluttonous than eating an entire banana split to yourself but it tastes just as good. My fiancé and I originally made these on Valentine’s Day using ice cream and hot fudge from Sweet Rose Creamery, a wonderful small batch shop in our neighborhood, but the leftovers lasted for a few more nights. I loaded mine up with one scoop each of salted caramel and vanilla ice cream, tons of warm hot fudge sauce, half a ripe banana, homemade whipped cream, and chopped pecans. Like a banana split, they can easily be customized with whatever flavors you like best. It’s such a fun dessert to put together and will instantly make you feel like a kid again.
Salted Caramel Banana Royale:
- Beat 1 c. heavy cream and 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar with a whisk* until soft peaks form. Add in a splash of vanilla extract and set aside.
- Meanwhile, let 1 pt. of salted caramel ice cream and 1 pt. of vanilla ice cream soften at room temperature for 5-7 minutes.
- Peel one ripe banana and cut in half lengthwise, then again cross-wise. Place half of the banana into each of two bowls.
- Add one scoop of each flavor into the bowls, then top each with hot fudge sauce and some of the whipped cream.
- Sprinkle the top of each sundae with 1 tbsp. chopped pecans and top with maraschino cherry.
*Or a hand or stand mixer.