Tuesday, May 31

Buttermilk Waffles


I bought a waffle iron shortly after I moved into my first post-grad apartment and have been making them for weekend breakfasts ever since. I usually use a version of this Emeril Lagasse recipe, but I was gifted with Williams-Sonoma's Buttermilk Pancake Mix and love having it on-hand in my pantry. Of course, the waffles are delicious with butter and maple syrup (or good old Aunt Jemima), but I dressed them up with strawberries and fresh whipped cream. They're great served with maple-glazed bacon.


Buttermilk Belgian Waffles with Strawberries & Cream:
  • Combine 2 c. waffle mix* with 2 c. whole milk and whisk until smooth.
  • Meanwhile, heat your waffle iron to medium-high heat.
  • Coat iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour in 3/4 c. batter.
  • Cook waffles for 4-5 minutes, or until crispy outside and fluffy inside.
  • Repeat until all batter is used.**
  • Meanwhile, whip together 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp. sugar, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Set aside.
  • Wash and slice strawberries into bite-size piece. Sweeten with sugar, depending on berries' ripeness.
  • To assemble waffles, divide onto plates and top with berries and whipped cream.

Makes five waffles
*Any pancake mix can be used for waffles.
**Keep cooked waffles warm in a 200°F oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment