Friday, May 13

Spaghetti with Tomato-Garlic Cream Sauce


One of my favorite things about summer is coming home from work and still being able to enjoy a few hours of warm weather and sunlight. My boyfriend and I have been taking advantage of the longer days by going for early evening strolls around our neighborhood, which only seems to make me hungrier. I haven't been wanting to spend much time in the kitchen, so I love making quick meals with just a few fresh ingredients. This tomato pasta is quick and flavorful, and I'm addicted to the garlic quark cheese* I get from the local farmer's market.

Spaghetti with Tomato-Garlic Cream Sauce:
  • Heat a large pot of water until it comes to a boil. Season with salt and cook 1 lb. whole-wheat pasta until two minutes before al dente (about 8 minutes).
  • Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet and add 1 pt. cherry or grape tomatoes, 1 tsp. chopped garlic, and 1 tsp. fresh oregano leaves.**
  • Cook tomatoes until the skin blisters and they soften. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Continue cooking, breaking up the tomatoes slightly with the back of a wooden spoon.
  • Drain pasta, reserving 1 c. pasta cooking liquid.
  • Add 1/4 c. pasta cooking liquid to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes, until a sauce forms.
  • Add pasta, another 1/4 c. liquid, 6 oz. garlic quark cheese, and 1 tsp. fresh oregano.
  • Toss pasta, adding more liquid as needed, until the noodles absorb the sauce and the pasta become al dente (2-3 minutes).
  • Divide pasta into bowls, and serve with a tbsp. quark and more fresh oregano.

Serves four
*You can buy the kind I use here or substitute with another creamy garlic cheese, such as Boursin.
**I happened to have oregano on hand. You can substitute with fresh thyme or basil leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment