Tuesday, April 26

Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Shells


After the 100° weather I experienced in Palm Desert a few weeks ago, the cooler L.A. temperatures and my new cold have been a shock to my system. I've been craving something warm and comforting, so I decided on stuffed pasta shells. I haven't had this dish in years, but it's similar to lasagna (and easier to make). Stuffing each shell with the cheese mixture can take some time, so I got my boyfriend to help me crank them out.

Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Shells:
  • Place one package of dried jumbo pasta shells in boiling, salted water. Cook for half the time the box suggests (probably about 6-7 minutes).
  • Drain shells and rinse with cool water. Set aside.
  • Meanwhile, combine three egg yolks, 2 c. ricotta cheese, 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese, 1 c. de-frosted frozen chopped spinach, three minced garlic cloves, salt, and pepper, in a large bowl.
  • Coat the bottom of a large baking dish with marinara sauce.
  • Stuff each pasta shell with a heaping tbsp. of cheese mixture and place in baking dish.
  • Repeat until all shells are filled and arranged in one layer in the baking dish.
  • Cover shells with remaining jar of marinara sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 c. grated Parmesan.
  • Bake in a 400°F oven for 35-40 minutes, until cheese is browned and sauce is bubbling.

Serves six

 

No comments:

Post a Comment