Monday, April 4

Steak Sandwiches


I usually give myself a break on Fridays and Saturdays, but I had so many great leftovers in the fridge that I felt obligated to put a meal together. The steak from this meal, onions from this meal, and goat cheese from this meal made a great steak sandwich. I even had some leftover greens from my pomegranate salad and a baguette in my freezer, so I didn't have to make a trip to the store. It was a nice change of pace from ordering take-out, and who doesn't love a great sandwich?

Steak Sandwiches with Goat Cheese & Caramelized Onions:
  • Slice half of an onion into small rings and cook over medium heat for 20-30 minutes, or until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.*
  • Thinly slice a 1/2 lb. grilled steak.**
  • Slice two small baguettes in half.
  • Smear the bottom half of the bread with garlic & herb goat cheese.***
  •  Meanwhile, combine 1 tsp. olive oil with 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar. Toss with 1 c. baby spinach leaves and set aside.
  • To assemble sandwiches, top bread with grilled steak, caramelized onions, and a handful of baby spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Place other half of baguette on top of the sandwich and cook in a panini press**** for 5 minutes.
  • Cut each sandwich in half and enjoy.

Makes two sandwiches
*Or use leftover caramelized onions.
**I used leftover steak from this meal.
***Blue cheese would be great too.
****You can use a grill pan with a heavy plate on top instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment