Thursday, March 31

Onion Tart



Within the first hour of our first date, my boyfriend announced that his favorite vegetable is an onion (sexy conversation starter, baby), and I've been incorporating them into my cooking as much as possible ever since. Recent editions of Bon Appetit and Cooking Light both featured similar recipes for onion tarts that inspired me to create my own version. The sweet onions, crispy pastry, and gooey cheese work so perfectly together. I served it with an updated version of my spinach and pomegranate salad.


Caramelized Onion & Gruyere Tart:
  • Slice two large yellow onions* into thin half rings.
  • Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Cook onions over medium to low heat for 30-40 minutes, until the onions are very soft and a rich brown color.
  • Meanwhile, place one sheet of defrosted puff pastry onto a cookie sheet.
  • Fold up the outer edge of the pastry to create a one-inch border around the tart. Crimp the ends with a fork.
  • Fill the pastry (inside the border) with 1 c. grated gruyere cheese, then the caramelized onions, then 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves.
  • Bake tart in a 400°F oven for 20-25 minutes, until pastry has risen and browned.
  • Cool for a few minutes, cut into 4 pieces, and serve.

Serves four
*Or three small.

No comments:

Post a Comment