Tuesday, August 23

Bacon-Braised Swiss Chard


I had some extra bacon in my fridge (leftover from this and this), but I wanted to find a way to use it that wasn't too rich and heavy. I decided to pair it with some braised greens (I used rainbow chard but you could also use kale or something similar) for a hearty and satisfying side dish. Just a few slices of bacon give a subtle smokey flavor to the vegetables, so it's a great way to maximize the last couple pieces in the package. I served this as a side, but it would also be delicious tossed into pasta or served over polenta (also pictured) for a light meal.

Bacon-Braised Swiss Chard:
  • Dice two strips of bacon and get them rendering in a large skillet.
  • Cook until crispy, about 4-5 minutes, then add in 1 bunch of washed and chopped rainbow chard.*
  • Let chard cook for 2-3 minutes, until slightly wilted.
  • Add 3/4 c. chicken stock and braise over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.**
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste.***

Serves two
*Any type of swiss chard will do.
**Add more liquid if necessary.
***The bacon will already salt the dish. Don't add too much extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment