Wednesday, August 24

Shrimp in Creamy Shallot Sauce


This week, I’m heading to the South for the first time (well, I’ve been to New Orleans before but several Southerners told me “that doesn’t count”) and I’m so excited to try authentic Southern comfort food. I was so excited, in fact, that I couldn’t resist making a Southern-inspired dish at home with this play on shrimp and grits. I actually got the idea for this sauce from a recent episode of Barefoot Contessa (see other Barefoot dishes here and here), but kicked it up with some good old Texas Pete hot sauce and served it over polenta instead of grits. It paired nicely with the bacon-braised chard I featured yesterday.

Shrimp & Polenta with Creamy Shallot Sauce:
  • Heat a large skillet with a little olive oil over high heat.
  • Add in 1 lb. peeled and de-veined shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and cook until almost opaque, about 2 minutes per side.
  • Remove shrimp from the pan and set aside.
  • Then add in 1/2 c. white wine, 1 large minced shallot, and the juice of 2 lemons.
  • Let sauce reduce for about 4 minutes, or until nearly 2 tbsp. remain.
  • Stir in 3 tbsp. heavy cream and several dashes of hot sauce, to taste. Season with salt, then add in the shrimp again.
  • Turn off the heat and stir in 1/2 stick butter, cubed, until melted.
  • Serve over Parmesan polenta.*


Serves two - three
*Click here to see my polenta recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment