Thursday, February 24

Portabella Mushroom Tacos



A few weeks ago, I was at one of my favorite hometown restaurants (The Sea Casa) and fell in love with their new portabella mushroom tacos. I finally got around to creating my own version, which I adapted to include some of my favorite ingredients. This is definitely a healthy and vegetarian-friendly take on Mexican cuisine, but the portabellas have a nice meatiness to them that will keep carnivores happy. You can always spend the extra calories on chips and salsa or your favorite Mexican beer.


Portabella Mushroom Tacos:
  • Heat 1 tbsp. canola oil in a large non-stick skillet.
  • Add 2 sliced onions and 2 tbsp. fajita seasoning. Cook for 5-7 minutes, adding chicken stock by the tablespoon as needed.
  • Add 1.5 lbs. sliced portabella mushroom caps and 2 sliced bell peppers. Cook until mushrooms are soft and onions are caramelized, about 7-10 more minutes.
  • Divide vegetable mixture into warm, whole wheat tortillas.
  • Top each taco with grated cheese, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.*

Serves six
*Or use whatever toppings you like best.




No comments:

Post a Comment