Wednesday, February 2

Thai Chicken Curry

Homemade Thai chicken curry that's quicker than delivery


Thai Chicken Curry



I absolutely love Thai food, but I have pretty high standards for the take-out places I use. I really haven't found one I like within delivery range, so I decided to make one of my favorite dishes on my own: chicken curry. I've made more complicated versions of chicken and vegetable curry before, but to save time, I like to use store-bought Thai curry paste. I adjusted this recipe to add some heat, but the whole meal was still ready in thirty minutes. Make sure serve some rice with it to soak up all the rich, coconut-milky sauce.

Note: I used red curry paste in this recipe, but you can also use green curry paste for a slightly different color and flavor.


Related Recipes:
- Red Curry Fish with Peanuts & Cilantro
- Thai Curry Chicken Drummettes
- Shrimp in Thai Curry Sauce


Thai Green Curry with Chicken:
  • Heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil in a large saucepan.
  • Add 1 chopped red onion and 1 tbsp. curry paste; stir for 2-3 minutes or until onions are soft.
  • Add 1 can coconut milk, 2 tsp. fish sauce, 1 tsp. sugar, and 1 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce.
  • Bring sauce to boil and add 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper, a sliced boneless skinless chicken breast, and a large pinch of salt.
  • Cook 5-8 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
  • Stir in the juice of 1/2 lime and check for seasoning.
  • Divide into bowls with and garnish with fresh basil leaves.

Serves two

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any fish sauce. Do you think I should get some/substitute something/leave it out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi EJ,
    There is no perfect substitute for fish sauce. However, if you don't feel like going to the store/ can't find any, I would recommend using soy sauce instead. They both have a similar salt content and flavor.

    Hope you enjoy the recipe!
    -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete