Wednesday, January 26

Spaghetti with Kale

Whole wheat pasta tossed with kale, garlic, parmesan, and red chile




I've been a fan of kale for a long time. Once considered hippie food, my favorite vegetable is now showing up on menus at gourmet restaurants around the country (see it served with the mahi mahi I ordered on my recent trip to Boulder, CO). When I lived alone and had more unusual eating habits, I would polish off a bowl of sauteed kale and call it dinner. Now that I have to please two of us, I've gone back to my recipe for Spaghetti with Kale. It's such a crowd-pleaser that I often make double the amount so we can have it for dinner a second night.


Spaghetti with Kale:

  • Cook 1/2 lb. spaghetti* according to package instructions.
  • Meanwhile, tear out the ribs from two bunches of kale** and roughly chop.
  • Heat one tbsp. of olive oil in a large saute pan. Add kale,1 tbsp. chopped garlic, a pinch of red chili flakes, and season with salt and pepper. It might seem like a lot of kale, but it will wilt down quickly.
  • Cook kale for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.
  • Add 1/2 c. white wine to the pan and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes. Add chicken stock if liquid dries up.
  • Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 c. pasta water to add to the sauce.
  • Toss pasta, pasta water, and a handful of Parmesan cheese with the kale mixture.
  • Divide into serving dishes and enjoy.

Serves two
*Any shape of pasta works here. I use penne just as often.
** I like to use black or dino kale. It has flat leaves and a dark green color.


No comments:

Post a Comment